The Bigness is a problematic side of the architecture, but architects couldn’t avoid to bigness. There are different approaches such as stretching dimensions, circulation, elevators, air conditioning and so on was applied through time. So, architects reached taller and bigger buildings. According to Delirious New York there are 5 theorems that is published under the ‘Theory of Bigness’
- If a building is beyond to critical mass, it becomes a Big Building, and it can’t be controlled by a single architectural gestures or combination of architectural gestures.
- Thanks to elevator, even though the buildings big and tall, it is not a mention about the bigness of the building.
- With the bigness of the building, distance between core and envelope increases to the point where façade can no longer reveal what happens inside. It is explained as ‘What you see is no longer what you get’
- Through size alone, such buildings enter an amoral domain, beyond good or bad.
- With all together, bigness is no longer a part of any urban tissue.
Even though bigness seems as problematic to architecture with the help of different movements it can be solved. Also, bigness is a new beginning in the architecture. It reassemble what it breaks.